5/13/15

To live is to die

What is the most certain thing in life?

Death.

24 sets photos taken before and after death. These photos were part of an exhibition in 2008 called "Life Before Death", held by Wellcome Collection, and the artists behind it are German photographer, Walter Schel and journalist, Beate Lakotta. They'd been with the subject until their final days, and reveal so much about dying and living.

some of the portraits that made me think about death over and over again.

Klara Behrens, 83, 6 Feb 2004
Sometimes, I do still hope that I’ll get better,” she says. “But then when I’m feeling really nauseous, I don’t want to carry on living. And I’d only just bought myself a new fridge-freezer! If I’d only known!

Klara Behrens, March 3, 2004





Heiner Schmitz, 52, November 19, 2003



Some of them even say ‘get well soon’ as they’re leaving; ‘hope you’re soon back on track, mate!’” says Heiner, wryly. “But no one asks me how I feel. Don't they get it? I'm going to die!


Heiner Schimtz, December 14, 2003





Peter Kelling, 64, November 29, 2003
“I’m only 64,” he muttered. “I shouldn’t be wasting away like this”
 

Peter Kelling, December 22, 2003


 


should we be afraid of death? 

Death for me remains beautiful yet poignant things I have ever known.














2 comments: